Five daughters link four families: Adeline, Josephine, Camelia, Sarah & Mary Ann Bellinger link Leist, Dose, Bliss and Haver families. There are pages on the site for each of these families (Bellinger & Haver are combined). Below is historical information on the Leist family followed by a photo album and family documents.
Samuel Leist, Sr.
The Samuel Leist family was a good neighbor of the David Christian & Josephine Bellinger Dose and Charles F. & Sophie Dose Oakes families. Long after they left the Issaquena County area they continued their contacts and alway spoke with great affection of their relationship and their history. On this page is collected information about the Leist family. It has come from a variety of sources, foremost is Martha Dixon Boone, the daughter of Maggie Leist. Maggie was the granddaughter of Samuel and Adeline Bellinger Leist and the daughter of Albert Fredrick Leist and Ella Adeline Harris. Five daughters link four families: Adeline, Josephine, Camelia, Sarah, & Mary Ann Bellinger link Leist, Dose, Bliss and Haver families. Pages on the site are dedicated to these families (Bellinger & Haver are combined). The “Guide to Site” provides access to these pages.
In the maps below you can see the Leist Landing occupying the waist of land between the Little Sunflower and the Yazoo Rivers. This must have provided convenient access to both, being only 800 meters( about .5 miles) distance across. According to Fred Oakes there was a road which was about 3 miles distance that would take them from the Dose property up to the Leist Place. A trip he made many time to attend school and to visit with the Leist family. He particularly enjoyed visiting with “Old Man Sam” who could do anything and seemed to know everything. The Indian mounds on the Leist property held a special fascination by everyone in the area and elsewhere. In 1908, Philadelphian archeologist Clarence Bloomfield Moore pulled his steamboat, The Gopher, up to Leist Landing to explore the mounds on the Leist plantation. He writes in his book,
“MOUNDS NEAR LEIST LANDING, ISSAQUENA COUNTY.
On the property of Mr. Samuel Leist, living on the place, are two mounds ; an elevation in a field, probably a dwelling-site; and the remnant of a low mound, on which stands a house. One of the mounds which, like so many in this region, serves as a refuge for cattle in flood-time, is about 400 yards in a westerly direction from Leist Landing(Mound A in map below). Its height, taken from the eastern side, is 29 feet 4 inches. Its basal outline is circular in a general way, but somewhat irregular owing to cultivation of the field in which it stands and to wash of water in times of overflow of the Yazoo. The sides of the mound also have been impaired through wash of rain and trampling of cattle in all probability, as the highest floods remembered have covered only the lower ten feet of the mound. The diameter of the mound is about 174 feet. There is but little summit plateau. Eleven trial-holes were put down in the upper part of the mound, the material encountered being hard loam. 1 These trial-holes were carefully filled by us according to our invariable custom. With the exception of three recent burials in coffins, nothing was encountered by us in this mound.
On the bank of the Little Sunflower river, which here approaches the Yazoo, and about half a mile N. by W. from the mound just described, is a curious platform covered with loam filled with evidence of long occupancy, averaging 8 feet in height except at the southern end, where the elevation is 14 feet. Its outline is irregularly oblong. Its basal diameter N. and S. is about 305 feet; E. and W. it is 245 feet, approximately.( The composition of the mounds of the Yazoo-Sunflower region is alluvial deposit, rich in clay, with the addition of more or less organic matter in places.(This is Mound C in map below.) Fourteen trial-holes through dark loam to yellow clay, showing the mound had been built and then lived upon, yielded no object of importance.”
A 1949 survey of Mound C shows 5 graves on this site, as seen in the map, below left.
The Mound C cemetery is called Holly Mound Cemetery. Interments there are
George Bellinger, b. Dec. 19, 1906, d. Oct. 7, 1922
Josephine Ophelia Bellinger Dose, b Sept. 6, 1858, d. March 1906
Adeline Melissa Bellinger Leist, b. April 11, 1849, d. March 31, 1908
Baby Boy Leist, b. June 20, 1906, d. June 20, 1906
Lillie Belle Leist, b. Dec. 29, 1879, d. Sept. 15, 1882
Louisa Leist, b. Feb. 16, 1869, d. July 3, 1871
Mary Jane Derrick Leist, b. unknown, d. unknown
Samuel Leist, b. March 6, 1831, d. Nov. 7, 1920
Sarah Elizabeth Leist, b. July 15, 1881, d. Sept. 19, 1882
Addie Leist Sanderford, b. Jan. 29, 1886, d. Nov. 22, 1910.
Leist Landing Photo Gallery
Parents of Samuel Leist, Sr
Jacques (Jacob) Leist, Sr. b. 1 Mar 1808 in Oberbipp, Switzerland, died Feb 1898 in Van Wert, Ohio, married Marie (Mary) Reber who was b. 9 Dec 1805 in Switzerland and died 15 May 1886 in Hoaglin, Van Wert, Ohio. Jacques and Marie married 1830 in Canton, Bern, Switzerland. A major potato famine occurred in Europe in 1845. Against this backdrop Jacques and Marie immigrated to America with their 6 children leaving Le Havre, Deutschland? on the ship "South Carolina" family number 244186, arriving in New York on 29 Aug, 1846, then continuing on to Salem, North Carolina. This is proved by Martha Boone’s copy of the original passport written in French issued in Canton de Bern, Switzerland. Click passport image below for passport and translation. More...
Samuel Leist, Sr.
Samuel Leist was born on March 6, 1831 in Oberbipp, Switzerland and died on November 17, 1920. He was the son of Jacques (Jacob) b. 1808 believed to be in Oberbipp, Switzerland and Marie Reber (Mary) b. 1805 . After arriving in America in 1846, In 1858, Samuel moved to Issaquena County, Mississippi at Mound View Plantation. The plantation consisted of 721 acres, 278 acres in Sharkey County and 443 acres in Issaquena County. Also on the plantation was a well known boat landing called "Leist Landing", a cotton gin, store, 1-room schoolhouse and other homes. The cotton gin burned in late October 1899. Leist Landing site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. The site# is 22sh520;22N1. The plantation was near Harworth. In 1861, Sam enlisted in the Confederate army while his brother Jacques Jr served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He served in the Third Regiment Company E under Captain Keep and Mumford Dickson. He was wounded (leg, thumb and foot) at the First Battle of Shiloh and was in North Carolina at the end of the war. he applied for a $200 pension in 1916. The Pension Application is shown at the end of this page. There is a Samuel Leist serving in Calhoun, GA as a teamster Nov. 1, 1863-Jan. 31, 1863. His pay is $.25/day. Sam Leist was probably buried at Mound View Plantation on "the Holly Mound", a flat top Indian mound that also served as a burial ground for many of the Leist family. The plantation was lost for a debt to D.J Schlenker, a wholesaler grocer in Vicksburg (that Maggie Leist Dixon said was stolen) by Samuel Leist who could not write and only made his X on the document. After the death of Samuel in 1920 and the loss of the plantation in 1923, Samuel's son, Albert Leist and his family moved to 1615 Openwood Street, Vicksburg, MS in 1923.
Samuel Leist first married Mary Jane Derrick in 1867 in Vicksburg,Warren County, MS. James Tucker was the witness. They had 2 children before Mary Jane's death: Louisa born Feb 16, 1869 died 3 Jul, 1871 and Samuel T. born May 22, 1870, died on Feb 10, 1943. Samuel T. never married and is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery in Vicksburg, Ms next to his half-brother Albert Frederick Leist and wife Ella Harris Leist.
Samuel then married Adeline Melissa Bellinger Tucker on 18 January, 1872 at Christ Episcopal Church in Vicksburg, MS. Adeline’s first husband was Bartley Tucker.
History above was written by Martha Dixon Boone, daughter of Maggie Leist, great granddaughter of Samuel Leist. Shown at left at 15 and at right with husband David. Martha has been an intrepid chronicler of the Leist family and its history. She deserves much praise for her hard work and devotion. She contributed many of the pictures below, along with Walter Bliss, and Donna Leist Tesh. Mel Oakes did restorations, however always preserving any historical content. Others who contributed material were Bobbie Dunn, Donna Leist Tesh, Floyd & Betty Terrell Oakes, Carolyn Leist, Sheila Gessler Wood and Becky Carson.
For information about life growing up on the Yazoo and Little Sunflower rivers, check out: Fred Oakes Memoir by Mel Oakes.
3rd Mississippi Battalion Starts the Battle of Shiloh
To celebrate the dedication of the New Mississippi Monument in the park we will be featuring different Mississippi Units and their actions at the Battle of Shiloh, next is the 3rd Mississippi Battalion, the first Confederate unit to see action at the Battle of Shiloh.
The 3rd Mississippi Battalion was made up of a number of infantry companies formed in the summer of 1862 and organized from different parts of the state of Mississippi. By November 1861 there were seven companies which were assigned to Aaron B. Hardcastle, a former army officer.
Aaron Hardcastle was from the eastern shore of Maryland where his parents died when he was young and he was raised by relatives in St. Louis. In 1855, when he was 19, his brother, Edmund, who had attended West Point, obtained an appointment for Aaron as a 2nd lieutenant in Company F of the 6th U.S. Infantry. Hardcastle would serve on the plains and would be sent to reinforce the Utah Expedition led by Albert Sidney Johnston. Arriving after the conflict was resolved, the 6th U. S. Infantry marched on to California. Hardcastle served under Captain Lewis Armistead in the Mojave Expedition of 1858-59 and in 1861 was stationed at San Diego, California. Hardcastle resigned with Armistead and other southern officers and made his was across the desert with the Los Angeles Mounted Rifles with Gen. Johnston.
In September 1861, Hardcastle was appointed a captain of Confederate Infantry and assigned the task of mustering troops into service at Vicksburg, Mississippi. In November he was assigned command of the 3rd Mississippi Battalion of Infantry which he organized in December at Camp Anderson, near Jackson, Mississippi. Four of the companies were sent to New Orleans while the other three under Hardcastle were sent to Bowling Green, Kentucky. When Johnston’s army retreated after the fall of Fort Donelson the unit was reunited at Corinth, Mississippi around March 20th.
Hardcastle’s Battalion, of about 280 men were assigned to the brigade of Gen. S.A.M. Wood and placed in front of the brigade as pickets/ guards, on the night of April 5, 1862, just prior to the planned Confederate attack. At 4:55 A.M. the advance party of the unit, under Lt. Felix W. Hammoc were attacked by a Union patrol of five companies under the command of Major James Powell of the 25th Missouri Infantry. The advance fell back to the Battalion line and a fire fight began in the half light. At a range of 200 yards the two sides fired, inflicting the first casualties of the Battle of Shiloh. At first the Union fire was high but soon found its mark resulting in the loss of 4 killed and 20 wounded in the 3rd Mississippi Battalion. At about 6:30 A.M. the 3rd Mississippi Battalion fell back to the right flank of the brigade line and the Confederate advance began. As the line advanced Major Hardcastle advanced ahead of the battalion which advanced to his right, losing contact with the major. After Gen. Benjamin Prentiss’ Division was pushed back by the Confederate attack, Hardcastle was reunited with his Battalion as they joined the attack on McClernand’s Division near Review Field. In the intense fighting the unit lost a number of men including Capt. Joel Hughes of Company D. In the afternoon of April 6th the Battalion was assigned to support a battery of artillery near Duncan Field and at 5 PM was assigned to guard prisoners and escort them toward Corinth. On April 7th Major Hardcastle led the battalion back toward the battlefield where they took a position on the left engaging part of Gen. Lew Wallace’s Division. While fighting there, Capt. Robert H. McNair of Company E, who stood exposed cheering his men on, was mortally wounded.
The 3rd Mississippi Battalion helped cover the retreat of the army back to Corinth where they were joined by two companies from Alabama and one from Mississippi to form the 33rd Mississippi Regiment. soon redesignated the 45th Mississippi Infantry Regiment. Hardcastle was elected colonel of the new regiment. After being posted near Farmington, Mississippi during the siege of Corinth the 45th Mississippi would join Bragg’s invasion of Kentucky and fight at Perryville on October 8, 1862.
They would later see action at Murfreesboro and Chickamauga. Hardcastle would not be with the unit in these actions since he had been kicked by a horse and fractured his leg. While he recovered Hardcastle served as post commander at Dalton, Georgia, and Aberdeen, Mississippi before returning to the unit in November 1863. The 45th Mississippi would fight at Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, and during the Atlanta Campaign. In January 1863 Col. Hardcastle signed Gen. Patrick Cleburne’s letter proposing recruitment of slaves for use in the Confederate army, an action frowned on by many in the Confederacy at that time. Cleburne, now their Divisional commander would praise their actions at Resaca and New Hope Church but due to the decrease in their numbers, the 45th Mississippi was declared an illegal regiment and turned back into a battalion.
This would leave Col. Hardcastle without a command and he would revert to the rank of Captain until he was assigned to a military court late in the war. Hardcastle would marry Alice Hatch who he had met in Aberdeen, and he would run a store there. Due to the disordered situation in Mississippi after the war he eventually moved back to Maryland where he died in 1915.
Leist Family Photo Gallery
The Rev. Dr. Henry Sansom(May 25, 1821-May 19, 1903), Rector of the Christ Episcopal Church from 1865 to 1903, performed the service. His picture is to the left. He was rector during the “reconstruction period” following the Civil War. He and his wife, Elizabeth, were born in England. They immigrated in 1840. His daughter, Fannie Sansom Askew, born in Texas(1855), was a music teacher. Her husband James B. was a dentist.